With a wide range of sound, multiple speakers, and the ability to be linked with high-quality home entertainment systems. 5.1 receivers are a huge step above conventional AV receivers.
While they aren’t as sophisticated as a 7.1 or 9.1 channel receiver, they’re a perfect “middle ground” receiver for home theater systems, game systems, and sound bars.
They’re numerous in selection, however, due to their prestige – this can make finding the best 5.1 receiver troublesome.
With this article, you’ll see your search troubles go away. We have all the information you need to locate the best receiver for your household, venue, or wherever else you may need it.
Top Ten 5.1 Receivers Table
Getting the Best out of Multi-Channel Speaker Systems: A Buyer’s Guide
You already know the needs of your living area, seeing as you’re on the hunt for the best 5.1 receiver, but let’s look at some of the finer details that can truly make a difference in the world of 5.1 receivers!
- Power. Probably the most important part of a 5.1 channel receiver, you won’t want to compromise on your sound system’s power, often measured in watts per channel.
More power leads to less total harmonic distortion and clearer sound quality.
- Total Harmonic Distortion. This is a measurement of the total distortion of the 5.1 receiver, or the amount of sound distortion you’ll experience through speakers connected to the receiver, at its maximum volume.
We’d recommend looking for a total harmonic distortion of no more than 0.08%.
- HDMI Inputs. HDMI inputs are important for two primary reasons: the first reason being that they’re necessary for a complex home theater system, and the second reason being that they’re important for building a home theater or sound system with the potential for expansion.
The amount of HDMI inputs available on a 5.1 receiver can certainly influence the receiver’s price, but we’d recommend opting for no less than 4 total HDMI inputs.
- Connection Versatility. HDMI connections are a great feature of any 5.1 receiver, but you’ll want more than just those; look for a receiver that features connections such as a phono connection!
- Wireless Capabilities. With any type of technology today, wireless capabilities such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity are important capabilities to have available.
These types of capabilities can make multi-room sound performance a possibility, as well as music control from your phone, laptop, or other devices.
- App Control. Let’s face it: remotes are a thing of the stone age and phone control is all the rage, so we’d recommend a 5.1 receiver that features the ability to be controlled from your smartphone.
Top 3 Best 5.1 Receiver Reviews
The Enclave Audio 5.1 Receiver System is much more than just a 5.1 receiver; it’s an entire home theater system that comes with every part you’ll ever need for a sublime, at-home audio experience!
It’s loaded with all of the latest wireless technology of top-notch 5.1 receivers, coupled with custom-tuned sound technology in every one of its speakers that it comes with.
It’s equipped with three separate HDMI inputs to connect your devices and supplemental gizmos into – HDMI pass through is present as well as several other unique functions.
You’ll get uncompromised sound quality with Dolby Digital HD sound present in the receiver and every speaker that’s included in this kit.
The Enclave 5.1 Receiver/Home Theater System really has it all – you’ll have uncompromised sound quality, a high-quality receiver and speaker set, and enough HDMI connections to truly spice up your home theater system.
As far as standalone receivers are concerned, this might be the best 5.1 receiver you can get your hands on! From its 4k ultra-HD pass-through to its powerful, 140 watts per channel sound output, there’s a lot to love concerning the VSX-531!
It packs enough power to blow your home’s roof off, so be careful when you’re playing music through its 140-watt capable channels.
It’s loaded with built-in Bluetooth as well as WiFi and network connectivity, meaning you’ll be able to branch your sound through multiple rooms of your residence or connect wirelessly to a variety of different sound outputs without taking up space on the receiver!
The THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) is 1%, which is less than viable, but it’s a small price to pay for an overly great receiver.
The Pioneer VSX-531 is powerful, versatile, and delightfully wireless.
The Onkyo TX-SR353 is a fantastic 5.1 channel receiver to have at your disposal with a powerful 140 watt per channel rating, 1.0% THD, Dolby Digital HD sound, and a built-in sound equalizer.
The equalizer that’s included with this receiver will easily calibrate the TX-SR353’s sound and balance it with the acoustics of the room you’re in.
The Dolby Digital HD sound provides a truly sublime listening experience – all you need is a great set of speakers to experience it!
The 140 Watt per channel rating is one of the most powerful ratings that 5.1 receivers have to offer, but the THD is greater than 0.08%, meaning you’ll likely experience fuzzy sounds if you boost the overall volume up too high.
All said and done, the TX-SR353 is powerful, equipped with a handy equalizer, and equipped with top-class power, easily outdoing many other 5.1 receivers in its tier.