Are you looking to paint your battered old cabinet into something amazing and make it completely new? Or are you looking to create a drawing area for your kids to work on and explore their inner artist? Well, to do these things, you’re going to the best chalkboard paint in the market which coincidentally, our amazing guide has!
All paints on this list are made for the indoors, don’t contain any harmful chemicals and best of all, are easy to work with. And the great thing is that little to no preparation is required so you can get to painting (the best part) at once. So, go ahead and get something amazing from our guide and prepare to have countless hours of fun!
Before You Get Started
Here are some tips on how you should prepare beforehand so that when you started painting, you get the best results possible.
- Make sure the area you’re going to be painting in has ventilation. Although chalk paint has a low odor, it’s still best if you aren’t breathing it in. So, open those windows and turn on the fans.
- Don’t forget to clean the surface you’ll be painting on. And if it’s a rough or glossy surface like that of a furniture, rub it with sandpaper to smoothen it/de-gloss it.
- Use the best quality foam paint brushes/rollers to paint with and surround the area with masking tape. After painting, wait a minimum of 2-3 days so it can mature and then start using the painted area or item.
- If you’re going to use chalkboard paint on walls and places where you or your kids can draw on, never paint near or above areas such as dining tables, baby cribs or beds. Instead, paint in an open, wide area. This is because the drawings you do with chalk leave lots or residue (chalk powder).
Top 10 Chalkboard Paints Comparison Table
How to Choose Chalkboard Paint
All the chalkboard paints listed above are of excellent quality and there isn’t much to worry about, but here are some tips to make sure you get exactly the item you need.
- Black chalkboard paint is ideal for surfaces where you’d like to label items or draw on. This makes it perfect for painting a chalkboard drawing area on walls for kids.
- Chalkboard paints come in a variety of colors other than black for you to choose from. This means you can now brighten up your old walls, ragged furniture or even the exterior of your kitchen cutlery!
- Last but not least, read the instructions written on the box or label of your chalkboard paint as that will guide you best on how to achieve the best outcome and avoid any goofs.
Top 3 Best Chalkboard Paint Reviews
Krylon’s chalkboard paint is high quality, looks glorious and just works. What more could you want?
With this jar of one-quart black paint, as a measurement, you can easily put on two coats in a 40 square feet area. You can use it on any surface in your home, but before putting it on wood surfaces, prime it with latex before you paint. This will ensure the paint doesn’t absorb into the wood and fades away.
Just make sure you’re using it either for your indoor furniture or room walls as it isn’t made to stand in the outdoors but for indoors, the final result which comes out is an extremely smooth, non-glossy matte like finish. This makes it perfect for creating chalkboard surfaces on kids walls for them (or you) to draw on!
When you need the best chalkboard paint to draw on, this is it. It sticks on every surface you have in your home including wood, plastic, hardboard and even metal. The finished result is a black canvas which allows you or your kids to draw whatever you want.
Whatever you sketch on it will come off easily, making this perfect to paint on the walls of kid’s rooms where they can have fun drawing on their walls. Just make sure to prime the surface you’re going to be painting on with sandpaper as the chalkboard doesn’t come off easily on rough surfaces.
This chalkboard paint can also be used to improve items such as table tops and ping pong tables giving them a smooth surface and a good look at the same time. This, plus its cheap price make this the best chalkboard paint on the market.
Chalkboard paint is made in mind that not only kids, but adults can have fun with it as well. And that’s what the renaissance chalk paint starter kit is all about. Not only does the one quart of paint come in a color of your choice (you can choose one from 40 different colors!) but you also get the equipment you need to get yourself started and a detailed instruction manual to help you along the way! Now that’s what we call real value.
The paint itself works on almost every surface including glass and metal. And you don’t need to do any kind of prepping or sandpaper priming. Just start painting, put on a layer of wax, buff it out and you’re ready to go. And the best part is that it dries in just 20 minutes.
All this plus the fact it’s nearly odorless and doesn’t have any harmful chemicals make this the chalkboard paint definitely recommended. We’re sure you’ll love to use it to give your home the ultimate makeover!