Classy and sophisticated, fountain pens add a unique and artful touch to everyday handwriting. First created in 1827, these specialty pens have been around for centuries and have been used for a wide variety of purposes – both corporate and leisurely.
Whether you’re hoping to sharpen your calligraphy skills, or if you simply want a fancy pen to help to make the process of signing documents a little sweeter, a fountain pen can give you great satisfaction. However, because a lot of these pens can be a bit pricey, purchasing one isn’t as easily done.
Looking for the best fountain pen under $50? We’ve got the best of the best here.
Top 10 Fountain Pens Under $50 Comparison Chart
How to Choose the Best Budget Fountain Pen
Fountain pens come in several different varieties that work for various purposes. Some of these require more experience than others, while some are specifically designed for those who are just starting to learn how to use them.
To find the best fountain pen under $50 for your specific needs and level of expertise, consider these factors.
- Nib Style. When talking about fountain pens, the ‘nib’ pertains to the writing tip which releases the ink during writing. The size and shape of the nib will determine the look of the strokes you can make with your pen.
Broad nibs create a thicker stroke, while extra fine nibs write in finer, thinner strokes. In terms of the ‘shape’ of the stroke, an italic nib can create wide vertical strokes and thin strokes when written horizontally. Round nibs create an even width no matter how they’re angled.
- Ink Refill. Fountain pens are all refillable, but they used different ink refilling systems depending on the manufacturer and model.
- Cartridge. Refilling fountain pens have replaceable cartridges that can be easily switched out to refill the ink.
- Converters. Are almost like cartridges, except for the fact that they can be refilled with bottled ink. The main advantage here is that these types of refill system accept any brand of ink in any color for a wider variety of possible styles.
- Built-In Filling Systems. Have a reservoir that can be refilled with ink using bottles. The piston system allows users to easily fill up the tank with more ink than the typical converter or cartridge refill systems. Because of their large ink capacity, these pens are often favored over others.
- Eyedropper. Pens need to be refilled by opening the rear end of the pen and then dropping ink into the barrel itself. These are tedious to refill and can be messy, but they often hold the most ink compared to any other type of fountain pen.
- Pen Design and Body. The shape, weight, and style of the body of your chosen fountain pen can have an effect on your use.
For instance, there are some calligraphy writers who prefer heavier pens because they give more control. However, with a heavier pen, you can expect to get tired much sooner. Despite this, though, they often have a more high quality feel to them.
Lighter pens can come in plastic form, which are easily purchased at bookstores and craft stores. They’re accessible, and ink replacements are easy to find. They can feel quite cheap, however, and are often easily broken by dropping.
Top 3 Best Fountain Pen Under $50 Reviews
Designed with luxury and class, the REGAL Dragon & Phoenix Collection Fountain Pen is often considered by many as the best fountain pen under $50. This premium pen is fitted with an 18KGP medium sized nib that allows seamless, smooth, and perfect strokes every time.
The body of the pain is made from high-quality polished metal and is available in a range of colors that exude elegance and luxury. The pen itself also has some weight to it at 35 grams, which gives greater control to the user without tiring out their hands and wrist.
Finally, the REGAL Dragon & Phoenix Collection Fountain Pen comes with black cartridge refills and a converter for more ink refilling options. Plus, the elegant box and packaging that it comes in make it the perfect gift idea for that special someone in your life.
The Parker brand is one of the biggest juggernauts in the pen and writing tools industry. Their Urban Collection was developed to give people access to affordable fountain pens that provide high-quality and durability.
The pens are intended to put a modern twist on an otherwise classic writing tool. The subtle curves of the body, the intricate designs, and the wide array of finishes add a very sophisticated stylish touch to typical fountain pens.
They’re sleek, easy to conceal in your pocket and come with a stainless steel nib that’s been designed to provide smooth lines with each stroke. What’s more, using this pen with Parker branded inks makes for a more enjoyable experience, with their inks being known for their deep, rich, and vibrant pigments that add more life to writing.
The Lamy brand has also been one of the most well-known brands in the pens and writing tools market. Their top entry for this best fountain pen under $50 list is the Safari Fountain Pen in Charcoal.
Fitted with a fine nib, this pen creates the slimmest, thinnest, and finest lines with each stroke for utmost precision and sophisticated style. The pen itself features a durable plastic body that exudes modern style and class.
Each Lamy Safari Fountain Pen Charcoal comes in a gift box and comes with a replacement cartridge to give you more use out of your pen. For buyers who want a really affordable option without sacrificing quality, the Lamy Safari Fountain Pen Charcoal is guaranteed to satisfy.