Keeping your children safe is at the forefront of every parent’s mind; the outbreak of Zika virus has brought mosquito repellent front and center in a way that it hasn’t been for years.
The chemicals found in insect repellent can leave health conscious parents wondering if the risk of potential carcinogens outweighs the benefits of repelling mosquitos. There are natural alternatives to the chemicals DEET and Picaridin, but critics claim that they aren’t as effective.
Processing all of this information and deciding which risk factors are the greatest can be an overwhelming challenge, which is why you’ll love our handy guide below.
Our useful information, tips and reviews will help you make an informed decision and find the best mosquito repellent for kids (and adults too!).
Scroll down and take a look!
Things to Consider
Here are a few things to consider before you choose a mosquito repellent:
- DEET. A chemical approved by the FDA, DEET is found in many repellents; it is approved for children two months and up. It is the tried and true method for keeping mosquitos away, but it’s a strong chemical; so parents worry about long-term effects on children.
- Picaridin. Derived from the pepper plant, Picaridin is safe for children over 2 months. This repellent is a less irritating option and is just as effective as DEET. It is gentler, but has only been on the market in the US since 2005.
Top 6 Mosquito Repellents for Kids Table
These tips will help you to find the best mosquito repellent for kids:
- Safety. Be sure to read packaging information carefully and to follow the FDA guidelines for applying mosquito repellent. Apply it first to your hands, then to the exposed skin of your children, being careful to avoid their eyes, hands, nose and mouth.
- Concentration. The concentration of DEET, Picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus doesn’t indicate its strength or ability to protect against mosquito but instead serves as a guideline for how long it is able to keep mosquitos at bay.
- Effective Usage. Since different concentrations of mosquito repellent keep mosquitos away for different amounts of time (10% or less of DEET will be effective for 1-2 hours), it’s important to understand your repellent and to reapply as often as necessary in order for it to work properly.
Top 3 Best Mosquito Repellent for Kids Reviews
If you’re looking for an alternative to greasy, smelly, sprays and lotions, these bracelets are it! They are DEET free and made out of natural ingredients, like citronella and eucalyptus, which keep mosquitos from being able to find your kids.
The bracelets are waterproof, so your kids will be able to wear them everywhere. They are great for conventional outdoor activities and sports. An adjustable strap ensures that they will fit everyone in your family; they can even be placed around ankles instead of arms for added protection, or to keep repellent away from young children’s mouths.
A full satisfaction guarantee makes this bracelet the best mosquito repellent for kids; it is functional, easy-to-use and free of harsh chemicals. They come in a convenient 7-pack, but you might want to grab more than one. These bracelets are the best in the race to keep mosquitos at bay and your kids happy and healthy!
This is a brand that has been on the market in the U.S. for many years is introducing a new insect repellent that’s revolutionizing the industry.
Picaridin is an alternative to DEET; it offers great protection against mosquitos (and many other insects), while being gentler on skin. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard contains 10% Picaridin ensuring up to six hours of mosquito protection with no DEET.
Non-oily with a light, clean feel. This repellent doesn’t have that overwhelming bug spray odor, it features a very mild fragrance that makes it a favorite among parents. This long lasting repellent is perfect for all children over the age of two months and it’s suitable for a variety of activities; great for parents looking for an alternative to mosquito repellent that contains DEET.
These combine convenience, strong mosquito repellent and safety into one easy-to-use wipe.
It’s important to keep mosquito repellent of any kind away from mouths, eyes and hands; these wipes allow parents to easily control the application of repellent in delicate areas.
There are 15 wipe in each package, they aren’t greasy or oily like normal lotion or spray can be. They have a refreshing cooling, clean scent that’s great for your whole family. They will repel mosquitos for up to two hours and they are safe for all children over two-months-old.